Saturday, July 18, 2015

Pedal Hard, Ride High....



Health is the greatest gift, contentment the greatest wealth, faithfulness the best relationship.
                                                                                                  
                                                               -Buddha

7/18/15

This week is also a birthday week for my buddy Michael and I.  We celebrated Michael’s birthday last night with a surprise party here in Salida after riding the Monarch Crest Trail.  There was all kinds of great folks, lots of local produce, meats and cheeses, and Sydney’s parents, who did an incredible job of hosting the party, have an amazing location for any outdoor event.   I was also very impressed at how incredible the ride was.  I was sucking wind pretty hard on the climb in and the biggest problem is that I really can’t blame acclimation at this point.  So my excuse is that it was my third mountain bike ride in the past year and the other two had happened earlier that same week.  Overall I was pretty happy with how I held up considering.

It was not that the climbs were the hardest I had ever done, nor was the single track the best I had ever ridden.  But when the climbs, the views, and the vast amount of incredible single track are combined together on one thirty mile ride I am pretty positive that the Monarch Crest Trail was the best ride I had ever done.  Several of the downhill sections were miles long and they offered the perfect mix of technical challenge and sustained flow.  At times I was giggling and couldn't stop swearing - I guess that’s what I do when I am really happy…

This morning Michael was up at 4:30 AM getting ready for his race.  It’s the Breckinridge 100 Challenge.  The course includes 13,719 feet of climbing over 100 miles.  For most racers it takes around 10 hours of continues riding to complete the course.  It seems to be a special kind of suffering that involves a great deal of self loathing or self love, not sure which.  Hanging with Michael and one of his buddies last night and hearing them discuss other similar races they have done, how they prepare for such races, and the self deprecating humor that surrounds an event like this one is inspiring.  


Tomorrow Michael, Sydney, and I are continuing our road trip to Lander, WY to camp, hike, and relax.  After a few days in Lander we are off to Billings, MT for my birthday to see the John Butler Trio!
The Best down hill ride ever....





   

No comments:

Post a Comment